We have some scheduled site maintenance to take care of, so our shopping cart will be down for about an hour starting at 6am PST on Wed. 10/17. You can still window shop...you just won't be able to buy anything until around 7am. Sorry for the trouble and thanks for your patience.
|Region||Agaro Town, Western Ethiopia|
|Processing||Wet Process (Washed)|
|Arrival date||October 2017 Arrival|
|Cultivar Detail||Heirloom Cultivars|
|Appearance||.4 d/300gr, 15+ Screen|
|Roast Recommendations||City to Full City|
|Recommended for Espresso||Yes|
Dalecho Cooperative is near Agaro town, not far from Duromina, and actually very close to the original site for the Duromina coop. The station itself is at 1990 meters above sea level, and the 1000 members live and grow coffee above and below this altitude. We visited in 2016 and saw that the cooperative could use some infrastructural help - cracking fermentation tanks, new cloth for the drying beds, etc - but with a super clean water source, and nice initial samples, we found this coop coffee to be promising. They've been in operation for almost 40 years now, seeing many changes in leadership during this time, and it sounds like there may have been issues with managing finances in the past leading to a lack of reinvestment, and importantly, a lack of a second premium payment to the coffee farmers. Under the new Union things seem to have been streamlined, and 90% of the price paid for the coffee is going directly to the cooperative (the other 10% is split between milling costs and Union fees). The coffee is really versatile, and I had great results as both pour over and espresso. You might notice our defect count is higher than normal, though still far from unnacceptable. This is mainly due to a few more underripe beans than what we normally see, which are easiest to pick out as "quaker" beans post roast. Nothing excessive, and honestly won't be an issue in batch brewing, though maybe worth the extra effort to remove for the single cup pour over.
Dalecho is a versatile Ethiopian coffee, able to present subtle top note complexity in lighter roasts, that when taken beyond City+ yields a much more focused cup profile, centered around sweetness, and balanced core coffee flavors. Aromatically speaking, City roasts produce a rich carameized sugar sweetness that supports a subtle jasmine tea accent. That latter aspect carries over to the cup, and is most noticable in my roasts on the lighter side of City+. My darkest roast was near Full City (29F post 1st crack), and without the floral note, more closely approximated a somewhat fruited Colombia or Guatemalan coffee. In this way, Dalecho presents a good opportunity for a reasonably priced washed blend option as well as single origin. Light roasts have a subtle lemon grass note that comes up when the coffee cools, and the sweetness shifts toward unrefined, like pressed cane juice. The espresso shot I pulled of my Full City roast was loaded with fine dark chocolate roast tones, and understated plum note in the finish. To me, this is exactly what I look for in single origin espresso, but it's certainly a more than viable blend component that will add dark chocolatey sweetness, as well as fruited hints to your blend.